Do you run a social enterprise or know a mum who does? Next year I’d like to feature a social enterprise owner (who is also a mum) on Business Plus Baby – and it would give you some publicity too.
So many mums start businesses with the aim of helping people as well as earning an income. So I’m wondering if a social enterprise would be a great way to do both at the same time? The trouble is that I don’t actually know much about them! Here’s Business Link’s definition…
A social enterprise is a business with primarily social objectives whose surpluses are principally reinvested for that purpose in the business or in the community, rather than being driven by the need to maximise profit for shareholders and owners.
But I’d really love to hear from mums who are actually running social enterprises. I’d like to know…
- A little about your business – what do you do?
- Why did you start a social enterprise rather than a traditional business?
- Is it harder to run a social enterprise? Or does it actually bring business benefits as well as social ones?
- What would your advice be for a mum thinking of starting a social enterprise?
- Anything else you’d like to tell us!
If you’ve got a story to share, please send me a message. Looking forward to hearing from you!