Tell me more…
Many mums have always wanted to work in health or sport, so take opportunity to retrain as therapists when they have children. There is a huge range of therapies to choose from, including:
- Sports massage, sports therapies, teaching yoga, pilates and tai chi
- Herbal, homeopathic, aromatherapy, flower remedies
- Reiki, energy healing, spiritual healing, crystal therapy, teaching meditation.
- Hypnotherapy, counselling, psychotherapy, neuro linguistic programming (NLP)
- Chiropractic, osteopathy
- Reflexology, hopi ear candles, stone therapy, Alexander Technique
- And many more!
What are the benefits?
- You can choose how many hours you work
- You can work weekends and evenings
- This could be the chance to do the type of work you've always wanted to do
Things to consider…
-You can work from home, in other people's homes or rent a room from a clinic, natural therapy centre or hairdressing salon. If you work from a clinic, centre or salon, you will almost certainly have to do some , if not all, of your own marketing. -Marketing methods that work well for this type of business are –
- Taster sessions (perhaps as part of a pampering evening) often run as fundraisers for schools.
- A leaflet campaign backed up by a website which gives people further info – leaflets could got through local people's doors, be left in business centre receptions, GP surgeries, libraries, railway stations, gyms or handed out to everyone you know.
- Local websites such as gumtree.com
- Postcards in local shop windows.
- Get an article in a local newspaper.
- Use your car – put a sign in the back window or magnetic adverts on the doors (check out Vistaprint.co.uk).
-This article covers a huge range of therapies, so the time and effort needed to get qualified varies enormously from a weekend to a five year degree course. The first place to look for training would be your local further education college or try Natural Therapy Pages. -You can do some training by distance learning, although you'll need to weigh up how effective this is for learning 'hands on' skills. You can study subjects such as anatomy and physiology successfully, though.
Healthypages is a mine of useful information and a place to advertise your services ITEC – exam board for beauty and complementary therapies as well as yoga, pilates etc. Not convinced that complementary or sport therapies are for you? Take a look at other business ideas for mums.