Tell me more… Online shops are a popular choice for mums who want to run their own business. Alternatively, you could create a website that provides information. This might be…
- A listings website showing what’s on in your local area
- A blog – blogs (‘weblogs’) are websites which started out as online diaries, but many have now developed into websites that provide information, news and opinion on a specific subject or to a particular community.
- A social network or membership site where members pay a monthly fee to receive information, training or coaching on a particular subject. This could be as a video, podcast, e-book or e-course.
- A website selling an information product such as e-books and e-courses.
You can earn money from an information site by…
- Selling advertising space, much like a magazine
- For a directory site, you could charge people to list their business or sell advertising space (or both).
- Google Adsense – Google will pay you when a visitor to your site clicks on an advertiser’s link (there are other similar programmes too).
- Affiliate links – you are paid commission when visitors to your site buy from a site you are affiliated to.
- Selling an e-book, e-course or other information product on your website.
- Becoming an expert in your subject could lead to delivering courses, selling print books, coaching or being a consultant.
What are the benefits?
- You can work whenever and wherever you want
- It’s cheap and easy to get started
- You can write about a subject that you love and get paid for it.
Things to consider…
- It’s very easy to start a blog which means there are millions of blogs out there. Getting large numbers of people to visit your site will take a lot of work, including networking, driving web traffic to your site and writing lots of content plus some knowledge of search engine optimisation and social media. You’ll also need to write great content that will bring people back to your site again and again.
- Getting people to spend money on your website will mean you need to convince them that what you have to sell is of value to them and that you’re an expert in your area. This can take a lot of trial and error to discover what works for your audience, as well as giving away lots of information for free.
- Examples of information websites run by mums:
- Want to try blogging?
You can start your own blog for free using WordPress or Blogger. To make money from blogging you’ll need to move on from a free blog, but this is a good way to see if blogging is for you. To learn about making money online, see Entrepreneur’s Journey and ProBlogger. For advice on writing content, see Copyblogger.
Not convinced that running an information website is for you? Take a look at other business ideas for mums.